[Smt-talk] Frantonality

Brian Kane brian.kane at yale.edu
Mon Oct 5 14:54:49 PDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I did a little investigation and found something interesting.
"Frantonality" is indeed named after a friend named Fran, but not just
any old Fran. The song is named after Frances Kelley, who briefly ran
a label in Los Angeles called Fran-tone records. Garner's recording of
"Frantonality" (recorded in Hollywood, April 9, 1946) was for that
label records, and thus the title is also an advertisement for the
label. According to James Doran's book on Erroll Garner, some of the
originals were mistaken issued as "Frantenality."

I haven't done any other research on Frances Kelley, but did come
across this mention of her in Duke Ellingtons' Music is My Mistress,
the chapter on San Francisco. "And there is one more person--Fran
Kelley, musician, poet, songwriter, singer, orchestrator, manager,
executive. This great woman with all these talents gave up running a
radio station and record company in Los Angeles to pursue her
spiritual quests in San Francisco." I'm not sure if this is the same
Frances Kelley who was a member of the 1950's R&B groups The
Enchanters and the Dell-tones.

One other thing, I don't know if its quite accurate to say that
"Frantonality" is a homage to old-fashioned Harlem stride piano. I
mean, what Erroll Garner performance isn't? The tune strikes me as
more closely related to the be-bop practice of taking old standards
and writing new melodies--like "Ornithology" c/w "How High The Moon".
This would make sense for 1946. Although the melody isn't bebop, the
tune is a simplified version of "Love Me or Leave Me."

Best,
Brian

Brian Kane
Assistant Professor