[Smt-talk] Pieces contrary to the minor/major = sad/non-sad stereotype

Charles J. Smith cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:03:09 PDT 2009

In the midst of administrative travails in recent weeks, I've been
watching this thread...with perhaps more skepticism that was entirely
charitable. If I had more time, I would like to encourage and
participate in a more general discussion of mode and affect,
historical and present, in the light of all that supposed
sophistication that we lay claim to as scholars and serious thinkers
about and in music. But, alas, no...

Instead a simple amazed observation...that no one has mentioned the
slow movement of Ravel's G major Piano Concerto. Even though I have
profound Nelson-Goodman–encouraged suspicions about the
meaningfulness of saying that a piece of music is sad...surely no
major-mode movement is sadder than this one.

Best wishes to all,
Charles

Prof. Charles J. Smith
Associate Professor of Music Theory & Chair of the Department
Music Department, 220 Baird Hall, University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Chair's Office: 716-645-2764
Private Line: 716-645-0639