[Smt-talk] accellerandi-pieces

Eric B. Chernov chernove at ursatz.com
Mon Oct 12 13:07:50 PDT 2009

Though not "large-scale," two favorite examples of increased rhythmic
values in the manner several on the list have pointed out are the first
movement of C.P.E. Bach's Symphony #1 (D Major) from the 4 Symphonies in
12 Obbligato Parts, Wq. 183, and Osmin's rage aria ("Solche hergelaufne
Laffen") from Act I of Die Entführung aus dem Serail. The latter is
particularly clever, as it perfectly embodies Osmin's character: like a
child having a temper tantrum, he is paralyzed (stuck on one note), starts
to violently shake while staying in place (trill), until finally,
uncontrolled, he lashes out (scale collapsing down the octave). Brilliant.

Eric B. Chernov
Queens College