[Smt-talk] accellerandi-pieces

Jeffrey Perry jperry at lsu.edu
Mon Oct 12 17:16:20 PDT 2009

    With some trepidation (I'm not a world music scholar), I propose two
other models: The Lassu/Friss form in Hungarian traditional music, as
documented and emulated by Bartok--although here, I'm not sure whether a
gradual accelerando is typical, or a simple juxtaposition of slow and fast.
    Perhaps more relevant is the badhat/drut pattern in Hindustani classical
music, in which slow, unpulsed preluding gradually gives way to a fast
improvisation on the tala.
jp
Jeff Perry
Professor of Music Theory
275 Music and Dramatic Arts
School of Music, College of Music & Dramatic Arts
Louisiana State University
jperry at lsu.edu / (225) 578-3556 (voice) / (225) 578-3333 (fax)