[Smt-talk] Online aural and written theory exams

Sarah Bailey sarah at spunmonkey.com
Fri Oct 16 09:01:41 PDT 2009

At CWRU we are using an online placement exam for incoming freshmen.
It's proctored in the computer lab here. I wrote it in Flash for my
master's thesis and began using it here last year. Currently it's just
multiple choice, but we're going to add listening questions for the
next round of applicants. Once the test has been through a few rounds
of students and solidified we might consider distributing it.

I'm sure that dictation could be accomplished in flash but honestly I
haven't had the time to even think about writing the code. I do know
though that it should be possible -in theory- but I'm having a hard
time finding an example online. Last I heard Jennifer Snodgrass of
Appalachian State was working on a CMS integrated theory test for
distribution that has customizable questions but I'm pretty sure it
was also multiple choice only. Hope this helps.

Sarah Bailey
Coordinator, Center for Music and Technology
http://music.case.edu/facilities/cmt
Case Western Reserve University
Haydn Hall 11
musictech at case.edu