[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Tue Sep 1 13:24:28 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Three thoughts, in decreasing relevance to this
unexpectedly very interesting thread (and at a
time of year when such giving in to distraction
is desperately desired but highly unwise!):

1. I've always been impressed by the
long-standing observation that a rooted
falling-3rd diatonic progression is "stronger"
than a rising-3rd one because each new root
(especially when in the bass) is "fresh" to the
preceding chord tones. (It's the same for falling
vs rising 5ths, of course.) Also, the root of the
first chord is "promoted" to a more-active
member, in the next chord.

2a. Speaking of Brahms, one thing he does, which
I love to experience, is to transform a
"D"-function sonority into an "S" version (to
"S-ify" it?) -- more to modulate than to
accompany a chromatic voice-leading (as in our
thread). For example, C-E-G-Bb, which can be
heard as f:V7, would be chromatically transformed
into C-Eb-Gb-Bb, which can be heard as bb:ii7.
While this could illustrate simply Bb:
II7-ii7/b5(-V-I), the situation I have in mind
clearly expresses the C-E-G-Bb as the result of
an f-minor "S-D" progression, so a true
"D"-function harmony is heard first. Then it is
"demoted" to an "S" version, after which it can
move on predictably (at least briefly) to "D-T"
in its new key.

The piece I am drawing on is Brahms's Intermezzo
op. 117/2, in bb, where the retransition reaches
what will be heard as f:#iv6+/5-V7=>bb:ii7-V7.
(Hear mm. 42-51.) These are the chords involved
(bass upwards, in close position):
	Db-F-Ab-Cb[=B]--C-E-G-Bb--C-Eb-Gb-Bb--F-A-C-Eb--(Eb-Gb-A-C--)
[The f:#iv6+/5 is spelled simply as a DbMm7th,
perhaps in honor of the Db tonic it recalls from
the previous Part B.]

But wait...there's more! After that, an
"S-iffication" happens again, now shifting the
bb:"D" function to an eb:"S" (in mm. 51-52), in
order to recapitulate the original bb:i-iv-...
opening (not so definitely "bb" even  in the
first place) to a further-reaching eb:V-i-...
Continuing from the above chords, we hear these
(mm. 51-54):
	Eb-Gb-A-C--Eb-F-Ab-Cb--D-F-Ab-Bb--Eb-Gb-Bb--(Ab--Db--Gb--C--F--)

2b. But wait...there's still more (and way less
on-topic)! The above doesn't even touch on the
amazing, now-you-hear-it, now-you-don't
"D-T=>S=>D(?)-T" within mm. 58-61 (and earlier in
the piece) -- when bb:^7 of the V7 chord is
suspended into its bb:VI resolution, "freezing" A
into a Bbb (=^b1!), transforming bb:VI#2[-3] into
a chromatic-mediant bb:vi (Gb-minor), to which
then a bass Eb is added -- perhaps suggesting an
"S" function (but creating a dm7th quality where
one is not expected). In spite of this latter
chord being spelled Eb-Gb-A-Db, with A available
to be heard as bb:^7, the harmony here strongly
suggests a chromatically-altered "S"-function to
me -- and Brahms even spells A as Bbb in the
treble melody (but for melodic continuity, not
just to confirm its "S" function).

Thus, the occasion for a possible bb:V7-i, in mm.
58-59, is transformed to bb:V7-VI, providing
perhaps a substitute "T" function yet being
immediately available to recreate bb:"S" and move
on to a true "D-T". Before the bb:VI even is
fully heard, though, it is transformed
immediately (by retaining A) to something
ambiguous: not bb:"T", but not clearly "S" yet
either. Adding Eb, making the chord dm7-quality,
makes hearing an "S" function more likely, but
probably more in Db-minor(!) than bb. Its
continuation to a bb triad then, in retrospect,
unifies the whole unsettled four measures into
some kind of Bb-minor prolongation (as I recall
Allen Cadwallader pointing out that Schenker may
have heard) -- validating the persistence of
seeing and maybe still hearing Brahms's A -- but
at each moment of the passage, which function we
are experiencing, whether "S", "D", or even "T",
seems unsettled...  (This progression is finally
heard, in mm. 81-83, unambiguously as bb:"D-T",
to close the piece. Also, Gb-minor is
unambiguously tonicized, if briefly, to end Part
A. We so deserve both of these moments!)

Let me spell the string of chords in mm. 58-61, just described:
F-A-C-Eb--Gb-A-Db--Eb-Gb-A-Db(with Db-Cb-Bbb-Ab
upper melodic pts)--Eb-Gb-C(no explicit
A!)--Db-F-Bb.

2c. Interestingly, the two chromatic-mediant
chords, Bb-minor and Gb(F#)-minor/Eb(D#)-dm7th
are the striking alternating sounds approaching
the climactic ending of Part I of Schoenberg's
Gurre-Lieder -- first heard transposed to
Eb-minor, and then, for the final sounds of the
Wood-Dove, back into in bb. The spelling usually
uses ^7 (D, in eb; A, in bb) rather than ^b1, but
the chords still suggest to me "S" and "T",
rather than "D" and "T" (especially through their
^4 and ^1 bass alternations). However, literal
F#-minor opens Part II, following the Bb-minor
(with Gb as an upbeat dissonance) ending Part I.

3. Thanks for John Snyder's interesting
considerations of the end of the Brahms 4th
passacaglia theme. Perhaps we should remember
also that the e:I quasi-Picardy-3rd which would
be experienced after such a quasi-e:V6/4-5/3 is
composed in such a way that a pivot to
a:ii6+/4/3-V also can be heard, preparing for a
smooth return to the a:i(6)=e:iv6 opening. (Such
a tonicization of iv is noted for the recap
within op. 117/2, above, as well.) The end of the
Sy4/iv theme sort of expresses a "D"=>"S"
transformation too, although both functions arise
within the same aug-6th chord [as they usually
do], in that an e:V7/b5 is then heard as an
a:ii7/#3...

Way too long -- sorry!

best,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Faculty, Department of Music Theory
New England Conservatory of Music
290 Huntington Avenue (Room JH 325)
Boston, Massachusetts 02115  USA
617-585-1373; fax: 617-585-1301
gerald.zaritzky at necmusic.edu

At 5:18 PM -0500 8/30/09, John Snyder wrote:
David H Smyth wrote:

>  I too am curious about "classical" precedents for this.  Since one
>  fairly common deceptive resolution of V is to IV6, there must be many
>  examples of V/V resolving directly to I6, though none jumps to mind at
>  the moment.

For V7/V resolving to I6 (i6), see the opening of Brahms's Fourth,
mvt. IV: iv6 - iiº6 - i - iv6 - V7/V - i6 - V(7b5)5/3 - I. I
take this as an instance of Brahms using first-inversion tonic where
we might have expected the cadential 6/4 (others have noted his
predilection for this), though the the altered V4/3 would follow
the cadential 6/4 very well. I would expect
relatively many such instances in Brahms's oeuvre.

Best,

John Snyder

--
John Snyder