[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Richard Porterfield porterfr at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:45:23 PDT 2009

Dear List,
Yesterday, regarding Alexander Reed’s question about what he perfectly reasonably styled “I-II-IV-V,” I wrote: "Although Roman numerals provide a useful shorthand here, in the end what you’re describing are not harmonic functions but motions of counterpoint."
Dmitri in private, Nicolas more publicly, and now John somewhat obliquely, have raised questions about one or another part of that statement. Let me clarify.
By ‘harmonic function’ I mean a function driving a harmonic progression, such as I-II-V in the music of Mozart. In that context “II” does not mean only a chord with ^^2,4, and 6 in it, but the projection of II’s specific harmonic function: preparing the V-function that follows. That’s what the Roman numerals have been for, historically, not only identifying scale-steps but also their function in a tonal context.
Of course “I-II-IV-I” is more economical than my “bass ^^1-2-4-1 supporting 5/3 chords of major quality (with or without an added minor 7th),” as I acknowledged. And some on the list may find it more convenient to describe with Roman numerals the kinds of progressions I see as contrapuntal and for which I generally prefer figured bass.
But partly because of that history we often find chord successions of rock and Renaissance music such as “I-II-IV-I” and “V-IV-I” described as “regressive” or “not following the rules.” By turning our attention to counterpoint I believe we are able instead to describe in terms that are more positive (not saying what the music doesn’t do but what it does) how the bassline acts in relation to the solo voice of a rock song, for example. And not just Thing 1 followed by Thing 2, but a coherent musical utterance.
Which brings me to John Covach’s question. By ‘counterpoint’ I intend the combination of melodic lines. I don’t mean reading Fux, necessarily. A country singer improvising a descant is engaging in counterpoint. Counterpoint, like grammar, is something we pick up more or less naturally as we sing and play music, although we can study it more systematically in school as well. So your strummer, as long as she’s just strumming a succession of convenient chords, is doing just that. But when she sings a melody that goes well with that succession and turns it into a convincing progression, then she’s making music, isn’t she?

Richard Porterfield
Instructor, Mannes College
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory, CUNY GC
porterfr at hotmail.com