[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Sean Sovine sovine5 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:02:41 PDT 2009

 From the perspective of someone who was first a self-taught guitarist
and then went on to study theory and composition at a university, I
make the following observation:  Guitarists trained in rock and pop
styles don't usually consider voice leading in a classical sense when
coming up with accompaniments. However, when vocal melodies are
created, such lines naturally arise from the nature of the human
voice.  Specifically, the fact that it is easier to sing stepwise
makes vocal melodies more likely to take advantage of voice leading.
This usually happens intuitively in this context, in my experience.

Sean Sovine
Composer and Teacher