[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Daniel Wolf djwolf at snafu.de
Fri Sep 4 00:24:39 PDT 2009

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:20:21 +0200, Justin Mariner
<justin.mariner at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> It seems to me that traditional voice leading and counterpoint have
> varying degrees of importance in different popular styles, and the type
> of voice leading is actually quite an important factor in how the
> harmony works.

Perhaps it would be useful to follow the example of Charles Seeger's
dissonant counterpoint in which counterpoint was described as a system of
principles and parameters, the latter of which are variable in any local
manifestation, i.e. style.  In this way, we can accommodate — and
productively relate — the strongly differentiated triadic polyphony of
early music with, for example, the seventh-chord saturated melody and
chordal accompaniment of the American songbook or the massively parallel
power chords of some rock repertoire.  Moreover, this approach may be
useful in differentiating technique used in closely-related repertoire; I
wound love to see some more detailed comparisons of counterpoint and voice
leading in the contexts of vocal polyphony, keyboards, and fretted
instruments, each of which may favor or reject certain solutions.

Daniel Wolf
composer
Frankfurt