[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 4 06:01:29 PDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 5:22 AM, Nicolas Meeùs wrote:

> It seems to me that the voice leading that can be subsumed in Roman
> numerals is not the actual contrapuntal voice leading, but rather an
> abstract one, at the level of pitch classes, without consideration
> of registers. This type of voice leading is present in chord
> strumming on the guitar, even when no account (conscious or not) is
> taken of the counterpoint – this is how the guitar and other plucked
> instruments played a prominent role at the origin of tonality.

I'm a little apprehensive about the idea that "Roman numerals refer to
voice leading."  Roman numerals are a system for describing harmonic
relationships.  They really have no implications about voice leading
whatsoever.  One and the same chord progression can imply many
different voice leadings.  If you want to talk about voice leading,
why not just talk about voice leading, using terms and tools that are
specifically designed for the job?  Otherwise, we risk a severely
muddled discourse in which terms are being used to mean something
other than what we say they mean -- which just makes the field
impenetrable to students and outsiders.

There's an analogous situation in "neo-Riemannian analysis."  When you
look at the definitions of "L, P, and R" they're almost always
harmonic -- P is the transformation that sends a major triad to the
minor triad with the same root.  Yet in actual analytical contexts,
they are often used to describe voice leading situations -- e.g. the
situation where the third of a major triad moves down by semitone to
become minor.  This has always seemed odd to me -- if we want to talk
about voice leading, let's just do that.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri