[Smt-talk] (no subject)

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 4 08:49:21 PDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Bryan Parkhurst wrote:

> One thing that would illuminate this discussion of voice-leading and
> it's pertinence to the analysis of popular music is a (more)
> rigorous definition of voice-leading.

Formally defining "voice leading" is not so difficult.

Intuitively, a voice leading is a way of mapping the notes of one
chord to those of another.  Voice leadings, as I understand them, can
be identified with phrases such as "move C major to F major by holding
C constant, shifting E up by semitone to F, and G up by two semitones
to A."  I've written a number of papers dealing with this issue.  See,
for example, "Scale Theory, Serial Theory, and Voice Leading" Music
Analysis 27.1: 1-49.

The complications arise from the fact that voice leadings can be:

	1. Explicitly present in the scores, as articulated by polyphonic
voices.
	2. Less explicitly present, as in a series of homophonic piano chords
in which individual voices are not notated.
	3. Imposed upon a relatively neutral stimulus by the listener -- for
instance when we hear a particular melodic connections in a series of
chords played in Shepard tones.
	4. Imposed upon a recalcitrant stimulus by the listener -- as when we
take a piece of polyphonic music, and assert the presence of a voice
leading that is different from the one implied by the voices.

So I would say that any ambiguities here arise not so much from
disagreements about what voice leading is as from disagreements about
how to go about identifying voice leadings in particular pieces.
There's probably no one right answer here -- for different purposes,
different approaches are appropriate.

> Indeed, I rather doubt that we are all talking about the same
> thing.  In the last batch of messages I received, these
> characterizations of voice-leading appeared:  "A kind of aural
> streaming" (Covach), something "whose tokens are taken as objects of
> aural experience" (Fitzgibbon), a "system of principles and
> parameters" (Wolf, quoting Seeger), and something identical with
> "the combination of melodic lines" (Porterfield, describing
> counterpoint).  Pretty bewildering.

Maybe it's not so complicated after all.

The reference to aural streaming arises when we identify voice
leadings by ear, as in #2-4 above.  Ditto for "tokens of auditory
experience."  The "principles and parameters" refer to style-specific
conventions for articulating mappings between successive chords (and
largely applies to #1 above) -- in some styles, for example, parallel
octaves are OK, while in others they're not.  "Combination of melodic
lines" refers to this as well.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri