[Smt-talk] I - II- IV as a progression (counterpoint)

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Tue Sep 8 06:01:06 PDT 2009

Richard,

These are the rules I was taught more than a half century ago. As a
young student of music theory I always suspected that there was a
Theory Police who would arrest me if I ever violated Rule III. Imagine
my surprise years later when I discovered that some of the greatest
harmonic events in Western classical music featured a V-IV motion.

Best regards,

Steve

On Sep 7, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Richard Porterfield wrote:

> Rule I: The tonic triad can progress, under all harmonic
> circumstances, into any other chord of its own, or of any other,
> key. This is its prerogative as chief of the harmonic system.
> Therefore I-V and I-IV are good.
> Rule II: The subdominant triad (IV) may progress either into the I
> or the V. Thus: IV-I or IV-V.
> Rule III: The dominant triad (V) may progress, legitimately, only
> into the tonic chord. Therefore V-I is good; but V-IV must be
> avoided [emphasis original].

Prof. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York