[Smt-talk] Inception chord progression

Stephen Taylor staylor7 at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 12 08:00:42 PDT 2010

Thanks to all for your fascinating ideas - much of the music you
suggested I hadn't heard before, and there is a lot of literature I
haven't read. The rock connection Alex Reed, Nick Reyland, Darryl
White and others have pointed out makes a lot of sense.

I also like Dmitri's point #2 (in his first post).

> 	2) The G-F# alternation in the melody suggests Gb and B as altered
> dominants of G, with Eb a deceptive resolution or tonic substitute.
> As Charles Smith said, Bmaj->Gmin dominant is reasonably common in
> twentieth-century tonal music. Gb->G is not quite as common, but can
> be made to work as a dominant.

I'd say, especially since the Gb chord is in first inversion, the bass
Bb makes it sound like a variant of the final B major chord. And the
Eb chord works well as a deceptive resolution or tonic substitute -
the preceding bass Bb makes a "V-I" illusion.

> 	3) It's also worth taking a step backward and asking what kind of
> explanation we're looking for.  Perhaps this progression is supposed
> to be "weird" -- that is, to juxtapose a bunch of chromatic chords
> which don't belong to the same major scale.  From this point of
> view, the expressive force comes from negation -- the way it thwarts
> diatonic expectation -- rather than from some alternative positive
> structure.
> 	This is a more general issue when thinking about music (like early
> twentieth-century atonality) that thwarts established convention: to
> what extent do we want to emphasize the rule breaking, and to what
> extent to we want to emphasize the presence of alternative laws?

This is a fascinating question - it strikes me as two sides of the
same coin. What outwardly seems to be negation, or rule-breaking,
often has a hidden, higher order that it belongs to, like the
Petrushka Cmaj/F#maj. I felt the same thrill of discovery when I
realized that Petrushka fits into the octatonic scale, that I felt
when I read Rick Cohn's analyses of Brahms and Mahler fitting into the
hexatonic system.

Whether or not these are byproducts or motivating elements is a
different question - it reminds me metaphorically of the particle/wave
duality of light, it's not necessarily either/or. (Which might be a
non-answer to Dmitri's question in his follow up post: "What can we
say to bridge the gap between people whose intuitions differ from
ours?") But I do recognize Dmitri's points in his follow-up message
expressing skepticism on the hexatonic. The hexatonic scale is just a
lot weirder than the octatonic - almost not a scale at all, with all
of those augmented seconds.

Anyway - I poked around at a little more Hans Zimmer and Remote
Control, and heard very similar rhythms, textures, and synth patches
in The Dark Knight - but the Inception chord progression is still much
cooler than his other harmonies!

Thanks again,
Steve
Stephen Taylor
Associate Professor of Composition-Theory
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net