[Smt-talk] Inception chord progression

Darryl White darryl.musico at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 09:49:21 PDT 2010

I guess I would say that the question is whether we can give objective
evidence for the presence or absence of hexatonicism.  What can we say to
bridge the gap between people whose intuitions differ from ours?

I think there are a few reasons to be generally skeptical about the role of
the hexatonic scale in 19th-century chromaticism:

I'm not thinking in terms of any objectivity or evidence.  Rather than
looking for overt hexatonicism, I'm using the hexatonic collection as a
means of structural identification aside from any question of how such a
progression may be heard.  I should have made this distinction clear in the
context of my observation about the tonal emphasis.

Hence, the practice of 19th-c. chromaticism, specifically, or even rock
music, is not in view when examining examples like this, since I'm
interested in a generalized perspective on chromatic harmony that uses the
hexatonic collection.  I think useful observations can be made that make no
claims for compositional intent or perceptual matters.

Darryl White
Ph.D. Student
Music Theory
The School of Music