[Smt-talk] Advice re: analytical literature précis

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Thu Aug 19 05:56:09 PDT 2010

Dear Jeff,

Two strategies come to mind, which I no doubt
learned from my own colleagues over the years.

In one, students are encouraged to have a
personal response to the essay, of pretty much
any kind -- from liking some aspect of it, being
impressed with how it is written or explained,
discovering some "paradigm-shifting" knowledge or
approach, finding it boring, disliking its style
or "attitude", finding one of its main points
counter-intuitive -- or suspecting or even
knowing it is wrong... In short, the students now
has something to say about the article. That's
the "hook"; the precis itself arises when the
student is encouraged, in the interests of a
providing his or her personal response with a
more full context, or even simply in the interest
of "fair play", to summarize the original
author's writing -- indeed, to make the author's
best, most persuasive case for him or her. The
student likely will be motivated to do this,
through both his or her personal interest and the
"rightness" of giving the original writing a
persuasive presentation. While this goes beyond
what you mean to assign the students, at least
the precis is included, and the more personal
side of the assignment might be an interesting
offshoot for the course.

In the other strategy, students are asked to
write about the original article as if needing to
describe it to a classmate, who knows the lingo
but not the specific subject of the article --
either as if to help the classmate be better
prepared later to read the article him- or
herself, or as if the classmate never will read
it but needs to know about it (ie, some living
"Cliff-Notes"). Again, there will be motivation
to communicate and persuade one's peers about the
article, which may come naturally enough that the
instructor may find it already a good
starting-point for future precis advice.

Perhaps relatively short book reviews (or at
least the "precis" parts of them -- including
maybe the challenge of the student finding what
part of a review might actually illustrate a
precis) and relatively-long abstracts (and the
student discovering (as you mention) why most
short (normal) ones might not really be a precis)
might provide further samples and engagement with
the subject.

I hope these recollections from my own teaching might be helpful.

Sincerely,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Faculty, Department of Music Theory