[Smt-talk] Quarter-comma meantone and augmented sixth chords

John Snyder JLSnyder at uh.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:07:05 PDT 2010

Prof. Meeùs has framed the question incisively and insightfully. But I
think that one might look at
Gesualdo's music in this connection. "Io pur respiro," for example, has
an augmented sixth ("German,"
effectively) at m. 29 (in the edition I have here), but it is spelled as
a B-flat dominant seventh; it is
followed by a d minor six-four, and an A major triad, so it sounds just
like later practice--except,
possibly, for the issue of precise intonation. Gesualdo uses g-sharps in
this piece also, and could have
spelled the chord as an augmented sixth had he chosen to do so. Again,
the issue of
temperament/intonation might or might not be in play. I believe Gesualdo
also used the French sixth,
spelled in the typical manner, in at least one other composition, but I
don't have time to hunt for it just now.

Best,

John

--
John L.Snyder