[Smt-talk] equal division of the octave in pop songs

Philip Ewell pewell at hunter.cuny.edu
Sun Aug 29 19:15:06 PDT 2010

Mark:

Another great wholetone example is Stereolab's "Black Ants in Sound-
Dust" from Sound Dust.  The piece is based on Scriabin's Mystic Chord
(I verified this with Tim Gane via the band's manager, Martin Pike, a
few years back), which is of course 5 of 6 notes from the wholetone
scale.  Beginning with a clearly arpeggiated mystic chord on C4, the
piece then has an ascending bass-line wholetone scale from C3 to C4,
stated three times.  For the fourth statement, the G# switches to A,
thus turning the wholetone scale into the mystic chord that began the
piece.  The same thing happens with a descending wholetone line as
well.  A nice interplay between the chord and the scale, I should say.

And Regina Spektor has a nice wholetone scale, also with centric pitch
C, in "Twenty Years of Snow" from Begin to Hope.  Works well with the
overall key of C major.

Best,

-Phil

Philip Ewell, Ph.D.