[Smt-talk] Identifying a composer's hand using statistics

Kris Shaffer kris.shaffer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:40:58 PST 2010

Dmitri,
There's a turn-of-the-19th-century concerto for two horns in E-flat that is the subject of substantial dispute (or at least, it was 10 years ago, when I last looked into it). It's commonly attributed to Michael Haydn, but usually that attribution is qualified, and there is reason to believe that it may have been penned by Joseph Haydn. I've also heard claims that it was composed by Rosetti. All three, I would think, would present a substantial body of work against which to test, including other concert works for one or two horns and orchestra.

Kris Shaffer
Ph.D. candidate in music theory, Yale University
kristen.shaffer at yale.edu
http://kris.shaffermusic.com