[Smt-talk] Symmetry and Musical Aesthetics

Scott Gleason scottmg2010 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:12:23 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm thinking the best writing in this area is by Martin Scherzinger and
Neville Hoad, "A/Symmetrical Reading of Inversion in Fin-de-Siecle Music,
Musicology, and Sexology," in *Queering the Canon: Defying Sights in German
Literature and Culture* ed. Christoph Lorey and John L. Plews (Columbia SC:
Camden House, 1998), 36-72.  See also Martin Scherzinger and Neville Hoad,
"Anton Webern and the Concept of Symmetrical Inversion: A Reconsideration on
the Terrain of Gender," *Repercussions* 6 (1997): 63-147.

Fascinating stuff. Enjoy.

Scott Gleason
Adjunct Instructor, Fordham University
PhD candidate, Columbia University