[Smt-talk] Written record of Boulanger pedagogy?

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri Dec 17 15:28:43 PST 2010

It strikes me that Jonathan's description of the purpose (or the lack of
purpose) of Vidal's exercises exactly matches what I'd say (here, not in
France) of the traditional exercises of the Paris Conservatoire and of
the French way of teaching harmony in general. Harmony properly speaking
in not taken in account, in so far as there is no attempt made to
distinguish good progressions from poor or bad ones. The only concern is
to have a correct voice leading, especially in avoiding parallel perfect
consonances.

French "harmony", since Catel's treatise of 1801, probably, is nothing
more than a kind of naïve tonal counterpoint, without any real concern
for harmonic progressions or (which boils down to the same) for
tonality. And, as Jonathan seems to suggest, the figures become mere
labels for the chords, to be translated at first sight into chords
totally decontextualized. "Making sense" is utterly foreign to this
teaching.

I am afraid to have to say that this, even today, remains the way
harmony is taught not only in the French conservatoires (after all,
conservatoires are the places where tradition is conserved), but also in
universities, and even, /horresco referens/, in the Sorbonne.

This all would tend to indicate that Boulanger's harmonic pedagogy, if
it was based on these Vidal basses, may not have been very different
from the French traditional one (i.e. that of the Conservatoire National
Supérieur de Paris), with its odd figures includig +6, +4, etc., or
barred 5, etc.

But let me know: who is the Vidal mentioned here? Is there a publication
of his basses? I never heard of these exercises around here. They cannot
be worse than some I have had to do during my studies, but I know
nothing of them. And as one of my former students is planning a study of
this extremely odd French tradition, I'd very much like to know.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne