[Smt-talk] Addendum on Bach

Fieldman, Hali FieldmanH at umkc.edu
Fri Jan 22 13:39:08 PST 2010

Dear colleagues,

I've not been following this thread in minute detail, and perhaps that accounts for my being a bit surprised at the way it has developed.  The surprise is that it appears that all/every succession of a chord to the next is being considered to be a progression of chords as such.  There are very few patterns of chords that feel like "progressions" to me, that possess in my ear that kind of clearly-directed energy.  Instead, it seems like much of the wealth of the tonal language is invested in managing the pace of directed motion, so that it can slacken or tighten in countless nuanced ways without being heard to resolve a particular tension, and without losing track of its path even when directedness is at low ebb.  Some wise heads see melodic motion in the bass, as differentiated from harmonic motion, as responsible for a significant part of that role (I'm not naming Schenker because it isn't clear to me that his project was aimed at sorting out tonal music's many kinds of energy/tension).  When the bass is melodic, it is highly likely to be part of vertical consonance(s); those verticalities might look like chords, and we may be able to give them Roman-numeral names, but whether or not they *function* as chords -- as carrying the **harmonic** responsibilities of the scale-degrees upon which they are built -- is, I think, something different altogether.  Perhaps thinking of the "core [harmonic] grammar" as being very small, and distinguishing harmonic progression from other kinds of things  that verticalities do, would be a way to sort things out.

Best wishes for this still-young year.

Hali

*****
Hali Fieldman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Coordinator of Music Theory
Conservatory of Music and Dance
University of Missouri -- Kansas City