[Smt-talk] Seeking deceptively resolving applied dominants

Benjamin Anderson benjaminanderson2012 at u.northwestern.edu
Sat Jan 23 17:07:25 PST 2010

There is another good Elton John example in "Someone Saved My Life Tonight."

In the chorus of the song, beginning where Elton sings the lyrics
"butterflies are free to fly..." the chord progression is Db, Bb7/D, Ab/Eb,
C7, Db.  I avoided using Roman numerals because of the problematic nature of
the 6/4 chord.  Some of the online chord transcriptions of the tune say that
the C7 chord is a Cm7, but I think that the E-natural going to F in the Db
chord is pretty apparent—especially in the synth part.

Best,
Ben Anderson
Ph.D. Student
Northwestern University