[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Panayotis Mavromatis pm68 at nyu.edu
Tue Jan 19 08:36:21 PST 2010

Hi Dmitri,

> Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  When you teach
> "neighboring" and "passing" 6/4 chords, do you teach the specific
> idioms or general principles?

Actually both.  Specific idioms are obviously necessary, as you point
out.  In addition, I find that the idioms sharing some structural
similarity are important to associate as such.  So in my mind,
"neighboring 6/4" is a useful abstraction, even if it does not
uniformly apply to all scale degrees.

Note that most abstract voice-leading patterns are not as exclusive as
the one you are choosing as an example.  For this and other reasons, I
do think that the general concept of an abstract voice-leading pattern
is useful for students to know, even if there are some quirky patterns
among them.

> And if you do the latter, how do you prevent students from
> overgeneralizing to nonsyntactic progressions like vi->iii6/4->vi6
> and so on?  And do you feel any tension between "this is just a
> neighboring chord"

I am not a fan of the word "just" in this context!  :-)  I'd simply
say "this is a neighboring chord"

Best,
Panos

% ===================================================
%  Panayotis Mavromatis
%  Assistant Professor, Director of Music Theory
%  Music and Audio Research Lab
%  Department of Music and Performing Arts
%  The Steinhardt School, New York University
%  35 West 4th Street, Room 627
%  New York, NY 10012
%  Phone: (212) 998-5287
%  http://theory.smusic.nyu.edu/pm