[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Brent Yorgason brent.yorgason at marietta.edu
Tue Jan 19 09:53:06 PST 2010

Dmitri, I agree with you that we shouldn't teach these concepts as though
they apply equally to any situation, and we absolutely should highlight the
most typical instances of these rather than setting them up as generalities.
I do like using the term "neighboring" when I want to emphasize the
embellishing nature of the 6/4 chord. The roman numerals by themselves do
not communicate this relationship. But if my students can clearly identify
which chords are structural and which are embellishing, I actually don't
care if they label them as "neighboring" or not.

I have noticed a few other problems with the term "neighboring 6/4." For
example, depending on the voice-leading, a I-IV64-I progression may not
actually have neighboring motion in the upper voices. Maybe this is why the
alternate term "pedal 6/4" has developed, which focuses on the static bass
rather than the motion of the upper voices. I sometimes find myself
switching between these two perspectives, which I am sure confuses some of
my students.

There are also cases where it is difficult to choose between a "neighboring"
6/4 and a "cadential" 6/4; say, in a V-I6/4-V-I6/4-V progression. Where does
one end and the other begin?

Again, I don't think the labeling of 6/4 chords is an end in itself, but a
way to get students thinking about what 6/4 chords are used for and what
they should and should not be doing with 6/4 chords in their own writing.
And I find that if I don't give them some 6/4 restrictions, they will be
using 6/4 chords almost all the time for no sensible reason.

Brent

Brent Yorgason
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Marietta College