[Smt-talk] Passing and Neighboring 6/4s

Brian Hulse operascore at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 16:57:39 PST 2010

There's also the question of pedagogical purpose. If, as seems to be the case with Dmitri, the purpose is to elucidate to students a statistically accurate interpretation of X repertoire, then these questions appear urgent. If, on the other hand, the pedagogic purpose is towards some sort of musical "depth-perception," which is a more accurate description of my goals (particularly in a liberal arts context), the distinctions seem more arbitrary and less urgent. Can students learn to label and learn to write given a set of parameters? That's the pedagogical function I see as crucial. If a small (extremely small) number of them go on to become interested in the esoteric particularities of such-and-such repertoire, fine. But for me the main purpose of teaching undergraduate theory is simply to increase the creative and analytic abilities of students who in reality face an astonishing variety of musical practices.