[Smt-talk] Addendum on Bach

Steven Rosenhaus srosenhaus at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 22 08:46:05 PST 2010

My two cents:

I agree, Paul. I'll go further to say that any composer (whether or
not that person is also a theorist) does not think like a theorist
when in the act of composition. That is a generalization, but its
essence is true. Even writing something according to strict rules,
creative types by their very nature pick and choose which of those
rules to follow and to what extent--if the music warrants it. I have
found that while following rules can make for some exquisite music, it
can also result in G*d-awfully boring stuff. When I teach the craft of
composition I make sure the students understand that what they are
learning are not hard and fast "rules" but practices, and that
learning them is like knowing where the walls are in an unlit room;
much easier to push/break down those walls (or just find the light
switch and/or door, to further the metaphor) if you know where those
walls are.

Steven

Dr. Steven L. Rosenhaus
E-mail: srosenhaus at earthlink.net

Other:
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8716.html
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8616.html
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lauraleon
Link to "Writing Musical Theater" by Allen Cohen and Steven L.
Rosenhaus:
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1403963959&printer=yes&