[Smt-talk] Fwd: Addendum on Bach 2

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Fri Jan 22 17:32:56 PST 2010

Perhaps I should've been explicit below: what I mean to say is that
each period in European music history had its common practice.
Didn't composers in the 17th c consider modal practice their 'common'
one? I think we refer to the tonal as "the common practice period"
not because it lasted longest, which, as you point out, it didn't, and
not necessarily because we believe it trumps the others, but because
it's the most recent, it's what we're coming from. Besides, the tonal
period gave us a language and a multitude of masterpieces that
continue to delight and intrigue us.

Re "etcetera": Some composers tried to establish a common language for
the 20th c. Will someone do it for the 21st?
Is it possible? Desirable?

All best,
Donna Doyle

(not sent from my iPhone, upon which it's nearly impossible to type)

Begin forwarded message: