[Smt-talk] Addendum on Bach

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Sat Jan 23 20:29:28 PST 2010

Hi.  Very nice Hali, and Dmitri and everyone (including Janet the S, who's
VE in 6/4s is very true).  I would like to add the context of perspective.
For instance, when I taught starting harmony I always used the Tempest 3rd
movement -- I-V-I takes the whole phrase here, where it might take 3 chords
in Bach or 3 hours in Wagner.  If I look in with my magnifying class I see
lots of self-similar structures -- passing tones become chords become
passing sections or even movements, etc.  I can find Roman Numerals in Bach
chorales if I care to -- they seem to work as well here as in Beethoven or
Chopin - but often at different time/piece scales.  When Bill Rothstein
talks about sophistication in his Phrase Rhythm Book, it's that saturation
of levels, where each note ( node) hold a place in multiple patterning on
different scales.  That's what separates the Mozarts from the Salieris, etc.
The grammar of the Mozart piano sonatas surely has a lot in common with his
symphonies or the symphonies of Haydn or Brahms.  A lot of it is simply
because it's for piano!  If Dmitri had the complete divertimenti for strings
and brass on his DELL, he'd have a much different idea about VL.  The K331
Theme we all use, where the bass moves in parallel 10ths lends that piano
piece its interesing qualities, along with the remarkable "chord" F#-A-E
which is voice-leading against a "tintinabulating" E (nod to John Roeder and
Part) as Mozart basically says -- see, be careful with parallel 10ths --
they can get you into trouble if you descend!  Here is the essence of
"Breaking the rules" and harmony / voice-leading all at once -- going A-C# /
B-D / C#-E is great for the key, going A-C# / G#-B / F#-A moves us out of
our comfort zone -- but in the larger picture -- no harm done -- it all
depends at what level you approach the music **-- at some level I think
there's "progression" but that's not the level Hali prefers to live at, and
Dmitri's study seems to derive from the Bach chorale model ( you know Alex
Brinkman's study no doubt DT), which has become a "keyboard" model of
harmony -- very handy, no doubt, but main-ly biased.  I like V-IV-I, I call
it the "teenage wasteland" progression after Who's next Baba OReilly-- it's
the second essence of the blues after the first essential I-IV motion --
although Wagner used it as V-(IV-I) with a plagal extension on I -- a root
position V -IV in the classical rep?

I don't know - it's all over popular music, however!

** Following a discussion with Matthew Brown a few years ago, I
characterized a bunch of the Mozart Piano sonatas as so:  two voices in
10ths or 6ths, (big difference, Hali, if one of these is in the bass), one
^1-^5 voice and one "noodling" voice -- very consistent and characteristic
and strongly suggestive of Bob Gjerdingen's Partimenti theories -- basically
a lot of riffing going on with conventions -- that's a quick way to
establish a grammar!   Compare the Schubert Moment op. 94/6 -- now it's much
more of a voice-leading VERSUS harmony (promissory notes, etc.) as opposed
to earlier voice-leading SUPPORTING harmony (which is why K331 is so
surprising -- a singular moment - and a change in the grammar --  now
compare Schoenberg op. 19/6 -- the harmony determines the
knet-voice-leading, now to Schoenberg op. 23/3, now there is no voiceleading
-- the harmony -- now a set-class governs -- everything --

--

 Dave Headlam
 Professor of Music Theory

 Eastman School of Music