[Smt-talk] Addendum on Bach

Dunsby, Jonathan jdunsby at esm.rochester.edu
Sun Jan 24 16:06:31 PST 2010

"Contrary to the most important law of harmonic progression (no S after D), on the level of tonal plan the key area of subdominant often follows the key area of the dominant.
Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory"

That true observation, which V-IV-progression-counting-type people tend to neglect, has a long etiology. I don't recall that in this thread anyone has yet quoted William Benjamin, 'Pitch-Class Counterpoint in Tonal Music', Music Theory Special Topics, New York 1981: "it is obvious that key successions do not duplicate chord successions under any reasonable interpretation" (p. 32). You said it, Bill. On the other hand, where did I put my handy 'ProlongedChordsOrKeys? 'R Us' foolproof testing kit?

Jonathan
Jonathan Dunsby
Chair, Music Theory Department
Professor of Music Theory