[Smt-talk] "Core syntax" and 6/4 chords etc.

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 14:55:24 PST 2010

This is either faulty logic or another lawyer's trick:

>Dissonance treatment, if anything, can be described as part of the "core syntax" of conventional tonality (an aspect it inherits from the preceding modal era). Dissonances resolve by step, and in "strict style" they are also approached by step or by suspension. Since bass-related fourths are (usually) dissonant, it follows that they require stepwise voice-leading, which can be described as passing, neighboring, or suspension (or incompletely neighboring/appoggiatura, in freer style). Hence these categories are crucial simply for relating 6/4 usages with more general principles of dissonance treatment, principles that have enormous descriptive power for centuries of Western art music.>

Dissonance resolves into a consonance. This is the core syntax. This is the core of harmony. The neighbor note and passing note have nothing to do with this resolution and, therefore, they are not the part of the core syntax. Yet you put the dissonance resolution  in dependence from neighbor and passing notes. The vicious circle! Dissonance resolution determines passing and neighbor notes, while they determine the dissonance and its resolution.
It there is no consonant chord, the triad, there are no neighbor notes. Where did you find passing tones in music of Palestrina and before? There are some notes which do not coincide with other notes in other voices. But what do you compare them with? Triads? Tonic triad? You have been reading too much of Fux, the most anachronistic and unreliable source on counterpoint. Neighbor note and passing note are two attributes of tonal-functional harmony. They do not exist outside the context of Tonic triad, Subdominant triad and the Dominant seventh chord.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio at yahoo.com