[Smt-talk] "Core syntax" and 6/4 chords etc.

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 11:49:20 PST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I have been rereading Zarlino's The Art of Counterpoint, looking for a chapter, or a paragraph, defining passing or neighbor tones. I could not find anything in this translation. However, I have stumbled upon the following passage in which Zarlino expresses his attitue toward diminution, the principle which we discuss as governing all the levels of composition:

Quote: Matters for the singer to observe are these. First of all he must aim dilligently to perform what the composer has written. He must not be like those who, wishing to be though worthier and wiser than their colleaugues, indulge in certain divisions (diminutioni) that are so savage and so inappropriate that they not only annoy the hearer but are ridden with thousands of errors...

Both Zarlino's The Art of Counterpoint and Tinctoris's The Art of Counterpoint are devoted primarily to note-against-note, simple counterpoint, or, in terms of Fux, the 1st specie. (Syncopation is covered in Zarlino's book, but it is the device which is different from neighbor and passing notes).

I am not interested, at this point, in "superficial familiarity with Palestrina's scores." It, indeed, can be superficial, especially because there were no scores at that time. What is important, however, is how the theorists and the composers of that period understood their music.

Best,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Professor of Music Theory
Peabody Institute