[Smt-talk] Fwd: First Species Question

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Thu Jul 8 03:29:50 PDT 2010

Tim, Richard, and others,

Tim's examples are very interesting, but if one analyzes them very
carefully, I believe one will find that the "dissonance" lies elsewhere, not
in the unisons or octaves as such.

Richard's observation, that the same (chordal) note may be consonant in
relation to one note, while dissonant in relation to another, is
unexceptional (in Tim's examples the consonance is in relation to a pedal).
Certainly it is no argument against characterizing the intervals in question
as "consonant" and "dissonant," respectively.

Eytan Agmon

Bar-Ilan University