[Smt-talk] Avoiding Parallel Octaves--Example by Bach

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Wed Jul 14 06:09:49 PDT 2010

Thanks for this, Mark--a beautiful example of 'context rules.' (Is
"rules" a noun or a verb?) I think the operative 'rule' here is the
2-3 sus
with the subject--we hear the Bb as held over against the C#--not
resolving to the A until a moment before the bass moves on, and as
you point out, the dip to the E after the rest changes the situation,
anyway. Also, the further elaboration of this passage in mm 50-1
justifies your point.

Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College