[Smt-talk] String rep for Schenkerian analysis?

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Wed Jul 28 17:18:47 PDT 2010

Deborah,

While the majority of examples for my own Schenkerian introduction
course are originally for piano, I include a fair number of symphony
examples. To simplify dealing with some of the scores I substitute a
suitable piano transcription -- ideally by the composer or a
contemporary -- and edit the transcription to reflect the orchestral
score better, when needed. I try to use period-ensemble recordings in
class, for their usually lively expressions of  prolongational
figures.

My examples recently have included the following: (Please excuse the
inconsistent order and rampant abbreviations; to save time I am
copy-and-pasting a list somewhat at random from my course materials.)

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4, Op. 58/I, mm. 1-20 and 251-273 [even
though the opening phrase is for piano solo, the orchestra tutti gets
to answer it]
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1, op. 21, mvt. iv, mm. 1-97 (several exs
within; expo as a whole)
Beethoven Symphony 3, op. 55/ii (several exs within)
Beethoven Symphony 7, op. 92/I, Vivace (opening theme)
Beethoven Symphony 8, op. 93/I, mm. 1-87 (several examples; whole expo)
Beethoven Symphony 9, op. 125/III (main theme, variations)
Bach Brandenburg Concertos: #1(BWV1046)/ii; #4(BWV1049)/ii; #6(BWV1051)/ii
Bach Orchestral Suites: #1(1066)/MenI-II; #4(1069)/MenII;
#2(1067)/Ov(2nd-half)-Pol/Doub; #3(1068)/Air
Schubert Sy 8/i
Mozart Sy 39 (K. 543), mvt. ii

Some of these come from Salzer and Jonas.

Also, Caplin's Classical Forms gathers many wonderful chamber and
orchestral examples -- admittedly not for the sole purpose of a
Schenkerian Introduction but usually supportive of one, nevertheless.

Best wishes,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Faculty, Department of Music Theory