[Smt-talk] question on quote about ambiguous jazz note

art samplaski agsvtp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:45:27 PST 2010

Something like ten years ago, there was a thread
about Chopin's C-minor prelude and whether this
one note (in m.4?) was supposed to be E-flat or
E-natural. Someone mentioned a related anecdote
about some jazz great: somebody asked him, "So is
this note here supposed to be C or C#?", and he
was said to've gotten a dreamy look on his face
and replied, "Yeah."

I want to mention said anecdote in my history of
theory book, in a prefatory chapter on text-
transmission issues; but I can't remember who
said jazz great was, and of course can't find now
where I saved a copy of that post. Can anybody
enlighten me as to his name? (And possibly give
a bibl. citation?) Thanks very much.

Art Samplaski
Ithaca, NY