[Smt-talk] Aural skills supplement

Matthew Schildt mschildt at adams.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:58:42 PST 2010

Dear collective wisdom,

I currently teach the complete Aural Skills sequence at Adams State
College and am struggling deciding how to supplement the final Aural
Skills course. The first 5 weeks of the course covers linear/extended
tertian harmonies and expanded tonicization, while the remaining 10 weeks
covers melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic practices of the 20th century. 20th
century topics include modal, whole-tone, and octatonic melodic dictations
and quartal, quintal, and polychordal harmonic progressions. The program
MacGamut has been a great tool for the preceding Aural Skills courses, but
is of little use for the above mentioned topics. Does anyone know of an
ear training program that effectively covers these topics? Has anyone
found success creating a supplemental Aural Skills listening CD? I am
hoping that later versions of MacGamut incorporate, at the very least,
modal melodic dictations and harmonic progressions with chords such as the
V+, V9, and ct7. This course meets only twice per week (as is usually the
case) and out of class practice will likely be very beneficial. I look
forward to hearing recommendations.

Thanks,

Dr. Matthew Schildt
Assistant Professor of Music