[Smt-talk] verbal descriptors of harmony

Dunsby, Jonathan jdunsby at esm.rochester.edu
Wed Mar 3 11:55:34 PST 2010

It may amuse American speakers to know that the Associated Board (UK,
but worldwide, graded music teaching/examinations) calls these ("tonic"
etc., as applied to harmonies) the "technical" names for roots (AKA
"notes of the scale").

See
http://www.abrsm.org/regions/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/theory0410
.pdf

I too will be interested to see the winning North American entry...

Jonathan

Jonathan Dunsby
Chair, Music Theory Department
Professor of Music Theory