[Smt-talk] [Fwd: Re: MIDI Files and Copyright]

Paul Siskind siskinpa at potsdam.edu
Wed May 26 06:48:34 PDT 2010

Hello Colleagues:  Nicolas Meeus' post about copyright of music
scores/recordings (see below) helps to clarify a rather complicated issue.
(To make matters more complicated: Copyright laws can vary from country to
country, and they have evolved over time, making it difficult to make any
blanket statements that are applicable in all situations.)   But there are
a couple of points which I'd like to augment/clarify:

1) "I presume that music publishers usually do not buy the music that they
publish: they act as agents for the composer and as the source of his
or her royalties."

The traditional model in the US is that when a publisher takes on a piece
of music for publication, the composer signs over the copyright of the
music to the publisher (usually for free).  The composer thus no longer
"owns" the music.  Usually, the publisher will give the composer a few
free copies of the music upon publication; after that, the composer must
purchase the music just like anyone else (but the publisher usually offers
the composer a 50% discount to purchase their own music).

Whenever the music is purchased, rented, or recorded, the publisher gives
the composer a contracted percentage of the income (i.e. a royalty): for
sales, the traditional industry standard was only 12.5% of the price, but
rentals and recording percentages are usually 50%.  Royalties for
performances (which include radio, television, and internet broadcasts)
are usually not handled through the publisher; rather, each country has a
performing rights organization (PROs, e.g. ASCAP and BMI in the US, PROCAN
in Canada, SACEM in France, etc.) which collects licensing fees for
performances and then distributes royalties to the composer (50%) and the
publisher (50%).  (Opera, music theater, and ballet performances aren't
handled through PROs; rather, they must be licensed directly with the
publisher.)

While this might seem arcane and usurious, it actually reflects the
business expenses/risks that a music publisher traditionally took on.
Music engraving is very labor-intensive.  And when engraving was done on
metal plates, the master plates for hundreds of pages of scores/parts had
to be stored.  Initial runs usually printed 5,00-10,000 copies; these had
to be stored/protected (and insured).  Etc., etc.

This traditional model of publishing obviously is being supplanted with
the advent of computer desk-top publishing, print-on-demand resources,
internet downloading of scores and recordings, etc.  However, the music
publishing industry has been very slow in adapting to the changes and
adopting a new business model.  The dinosaur is dying a slow, painful
death; but a new, viable model hasn't yet evolved.

(Aside:  The business model for published poetry, novels, plays, etc., is
usually different, i.e. the author usually retains the copyright of the
textual content.  However, the publisher usually owns the typographical
layout, and any editorial emendations.)

2) "Even short quotations for scholarly or educational purposes usually
are not allowed."

Actually, US copyright law has an explicit exemption for the usage of
short quotations for scholarly publication.  And there are also exemptions
for certain types of educational usage.  However, these exemptions are
very limited, and are much narrower than most of us assume.  For example:
It is illegal to photocopy/distribute to your classes any excerpt which is
a "performable entity"; thus, even a single short piece from Bartok's
"Mikrokosmos" cannot be copied for your class or reprinted in a journal
without permission.)

Even though most teachers break the law regularly in their teaching, few
educational infringements of  copying are investigated and litigated (e.g.
cases where a teacher compiles an "anthology" of excerpts for a class, and
sells them at the college bookstore or Kinko's).  And most journals will
let an author know if permission is needed for any quotations in an
article.

3) "If the music itself is public domain, then the rights that may remain
linked to the score concern its graphic image and additional contents such
as fingerings, etc. So called "Urtext" editions (and others) involve an
editorial work that also remains protected. If our musical examples are
rewritten in a music notation software, they should better be copied from
public domain scores (see imslp.org). In any case, it would be up to the
modern publishers to prove that our examples have been copied from
copyrighted editions."

This point is correct, but can be augmented/clarified.  Even if the
"content" of a publication (i.e. the words of a poem, the musical content,
etc.) is in the public domain, a particular publication of that content
might still be copyrighted.  That copyright pertains solely to whatever
has been added by the new publication, i.e. fingerings, editorial
corrections, dynamics, preface/footnotes, and the typesetting/page layout.
 Thus, that edition of the music usually cannot be photocopied; however,
you can retypeset the musical content yourself (as long as you make sure
that you don't include anything added by the new edition).

Anthologies create a similar circumstance: The copyright notice in the
front of the anthology pertains only to the anthology (i.e. the
choice/order of selections, new typesetting (as opposed to copies of PD
editions (e.g. Dover editions, and the Burkhart Anthology)), the page
layout, and any commentary added.  If any of the pieces in the anthology
are copyrighted, there will be a separate copyright notice for each
selection, usually in a footnote or appendix.

I hope that this info helps clarify some of the complicated issues.
...Paul Siskind

Dr. Paul A. Siskind                        Home:
Professor of Composition and Theory        Sweet Child Music
The Crane School of Music, SUNY-Potsdam    69 N. Main Street
Potsdam, NY  13676                         Norwood, NY  13668
(315) 267-3241                             (315) 353-2389