[Smt-talk] Modal Pitch Collections

Seth Monahan seth.monahan at frontiernet.net
Tue May 11 12:39:19 PDT 2010

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if by "modal pitch collections" you're looking for
something entirely free from chromaticism. But here are a few
relatively "clean" modal excerpts of classical/romantic repertoire
that I've used in classes recently. In all of these examples, the
tonic note is unequivocal. (This in distinction to problematically
"modal" pieces like Bruckner's putatively Lydian "Os Justi," which is
all white notes and which ends on F, but which very often sounds like
functional C-major.)

- Two bars before rehearsal 17 in Act III of Turandot ("Principessa
Divina!") features some wonderful and striking Mixolydian writing
- The B-section of Brahms's Op. 118/5 features a number of major II
chords over a tonic pedal that don't act as V4/2 of V; this has a
strong Lydian sound to me.
- The "Polonaise" from act III of Boris Godunov (a common concert
excerpt) features even more striking Lydian passages.
- The refrain from Mussorgsky's "Serenade" from Songs and Dances of
Death (mm. 34-41) has an arresting Dorian sixth. (The next passage
opens with four bars of pure Aeolian, making for a nice cross-relation.)
- The Andante of Mahler's Sixth features a dramatic pure-A-Dorian
cadence just before rehearsal 100 (mm. 142-45).
- The opening of Chopin's C#m Mazurka op. 41/1 is plainly Phrygian.
- The second stanza of Mahler's "Das Trinklied vom Jammer der Erde"
from "Das Lied von der Erde" closes with a marked A-flat Phrygian
phrase (this is a deformation of the diatonic setting of the same text
in stanza one).
- The bare-octave opening melody of Brahms Op. 120/1 closes with a
strong Phrygian gesture.

I hope these help!

-Seth

Seth Monahan