[Smt-talk] MIDI Files and Copyright

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 20:32:32 PDT 2010

Dear Professor Kostka and the List,

I have had a conversation with the  copyrhight lawyer at the Kompositor Editions in St. Petersburg, Russia, on the same topic. I wanted to add a selection of musical examples to a book. The lawyer was very strict about it and suggested that the publisher would have to sign a special contract with the labels. I wanted to borrow from several labels, therefore, it proved to be impractical. This is an interesting question, though. It seems reasonable nowadays to add some audio files to a printed book. To use Midi versions cannot solve this problem: it can still constitute copyrhight infgingement and the quality of sound does not make it worth publishing.  In my experience, the answer was negative.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Johns Hopkins University