[Smt-talk] MIDI Files and Copyright

Yuri Broze yuribroze at gmail.com
Tue May 25 13:10:30 PDT 2010

Just a followup,

I'm not current on this issue, but the legal question as I understand
it relates to whether a MIDI file constitutes a "score" or a
"performance."  If it's a score, then this falls under the domain of
publication rights, whereas if it's a performance, then the
restrictions are considerably different.  Essentially, playing a MIDI
is
a performance of the work, and therefore rights would go through
ASCAP, BMI, or another performing rights organization -- but only if
it's a *public* performance.  There is clearly nothing illegal about a
musician playing a popular hit at home for their friends.

Not an answer, but just another perspective.

Yuri Broze
314.910.3152
1637 N 4th St
Columbus, OH 43201