[Smt-talk] List of Schools that Offer the Ph.D. in Music Theory

John Cuciurean jcuciure at uwo.ca
Wed Nov 17 09:03:33 PST 2010

Hi Gary,

As a rejoinder to Scott Cook's post citing Canadian schools that offer a
PhD in Music Theory, please also include the University of Western
Ontario. While not strictly identified as a PhD in Music Theory in
directories such as the one furnished by the CMS, the PhD in Music at
UWO has 4 unique streams of specialization: Music Theory, Musicology,
Composition, and Education. The current total current enrollment for our
PhD program is 31 students, 11 of whom are in the theory stream.

The individual streams do not have shared curricular content. Hence, the
courses required for the PhD with specialization in Music Theory are
virtually the same types of specialized theory courses required by
schools who offer a PhD specifically in Music Theory.

Best,
John

John Cuciurean
Asst Prof of Music Theory