[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

Jane Clendinning jclendinning at fsu.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:53:29 PST 2010

Colleagues,

Listing the type and area of a doctoral degree inaccurately on a CV or
position application is "falsifying credentials", which is quite a serious
matter.  This type of intentional inaccuracy could be grounds for getting
fired (because you were hired under false pretenses) or could get an
applicant removed from a job application pool if the falsehood is noted by a
committee member ( . . . if someone would lie about that type of
information, which can easily be verified by checking to see which degrees a
university grants or by calling references, how can the person be trusted on
anything else?).

It is essential to list your degrees, employment experience, and other
matters accurately on your CV.  A situation like Leslie's could easily and
accurately be handled by listing the correct degree name and area, and also
listing the dissertation advisors, title, and (if desired) a brief
description.  A DMA is a different degree (with different requirements) than
a Ph.D., and a degree in musicology and one in theory normally involve
different degree requirements as well . . . including differences in the
types of exams and the expectations and standards dissertation research.

I don't want graduate students, or anyone else applying for jobs, to read
this email stream and think they can assign any name to their degree (or any
title to their teaching position) they wish; instead be accurate, and give
as much information about your training or experience as necessary to
represent what you have actually done, if you have background that crosses
over disciplines.  That allows the search committee to consider your
credentials with all factors in mind.  To do otherwise is dishonest, and
could be very costly to your career.

Jane Clendinning

Jane Piper Clendinning
Professor of Music Theory
Florida State University
College of Music
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1180
Office phone:  850-644-3424 to leave message
Email:  jclendinning at fsu.edu