[Smt-talk] Princeton and Theory

David Froom dfroom at smcm.edu
Mon Nov 22 05:15:10 PST 2010

On 21 Nov 2010, at 11:31 AM, Jane Clendinning wrote:

>  . . . and all the more reason for universities to hire persons (no
> matter what their degree name) who have intensive training in and
> deep understanding of music theory and who are active in music
> theory circles (which means they have a way to continue learning) to
> teach music theory content beyond the most basic.

The issue for me is what is meant by "beyond the most basic," and by
what is meant by "active in music theory circles."  The US has a long
and rich history of composers being involved in the teaching of music
theory and composers writing theory textbooks.  Before theory
doctorates were as common as they now are, I suspect that most theory
teachers at most institutions were composers. This was true for me as
a student during the 1970s, and it is still true in many places.

If by "most basic" you mean undergraduate curriculum, and if by
"active in music theory circles," you mean, at a minimum, reading
lists like this one or keeping up with the most recent materials of
undergraduate theory pedagogy,  I can agree with you.  I suspect,
though, that many would like to require much more involvement with
music theory circles and be far more restrictive about teaching.  In
my experience, active composers have been among the most gifted theory
teachers, throughout the curriculum.  While there are many composers
who are active in the theory field, and some of those among the most
distinguished theorists (while lacking theory degrees), there are also
many more who have chosen to devote all of their creative energies to
composition while remaining curious about theory and while continuing
to be effective and inspiring theory teachers.

Composers teaching theory are not the equivalent of trombonists
teaching clarinet (or theory).  In the legitimate attempt to define
areas of expertise and claim territory, it would be a tragedy, I
think, and to the serious detriment of the field, were this to lead to
the elimination of active composers who don't write articles from the
theory classroom.

David Froom
Professor and Chair
Music Department