[Smt-talk] Early account of beats

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Tue Sep 14 09:17:21 PDT 2010

  No, Jay, no interference can be perceived (at least in normal
conditions) between the partials of a single tone with harmonic
spectrum, and there wouldn't be "various rates" in this case. The
difference between the harmonic partials of a single tone is always the
same, by definition, and equal to the fundamental frequency of this
tone. This may produce an interference, more specifically a difference
tone, which is not exactly of the same nature as beating. It has the
frequency the fundamental of the tone and is perceived as reinforcing
it. Other difference (and summation) tones may arise, but they always
correspond to the frequency of one or another of the harmonic partials
themselves. There is no way that a harmonic sound could produce
frequencies outside its harmonic series: this is an arithmetic property
of the harmonic series itself.
     [When I say that no interference can be perceived "in normal
conditions", I mean that it is technically possible to differentiate the
energy originating from the difference tones from that of the partials
themselves; but they blend in a normal perception.]

Whenever two different tones with harmonic spectra sound simultaneously,
on the other hand, several interference rates appear at the same time.
It is not always so that the slowest rate predominates. Some (piano)
tuners tuning D3-A3 as in the case you described would choose to listen
to the 2.8Hz rate aroung A5 (880Hz), rather than the 1.4Hz one around A4
- and they would succeed in doing that! That is to say that various
beating rates can be heard, and isolated by an attentive listening.

Whether Schlick heard beats, we will never know. The only clue we have
is what he said: /schweben/. Now if one is convinced that /schweben
/meant 'to beat' in 1511 because that is what it means today, there is
not much that I can add, but that I strongly doubt this and won't change
my mind about it.

Martin Braun writes:

    ...the German term "schweben" already in those days [Werckmeister's]
    was a technical term and had the precisely defined meaning of "to
    beat", in the same way as it is used today.
    "herunter/unterwärts schweben" means downward deviation realtive to
    the second vibration
    "aufwärts schweben" means upward deviation relative to the second
    vibration
    The term "gleichschwebend" is not puzzling, if one remembers that in
    those days there were no machines to measure the number of beats.
    People just heard the difference between slow and fast beating on
    the one hand, and the difference between highside beating and
    lowside beating on the other hand. "Gleichschwebend" simply meant
    and still means today "equally tolerable" or "equally acceptable"
    beating across the tone scale. It was, and still is, a qualitative
    term, not a quantitative one.

/Schweben/ may mean 'deviate' (downwards of upwards): I fully agree and
I think this is the best translation proposed up to now. But it
certainly is NOT the precisely defined meaning of 'to beat' as it is
used today.

The beating rate for a given interval doubles from octave to octave:
even without machines to measure beats, this can in no way be considered
"equal". Also, intervals in equal temperament are not "equally
acceptable" across the scale. It is well known that ET-thirds, for
instance, are rather less acceptable in the low range. This is because
the roughness of beating is maximum within a rather limited range within
which thirds fall in the low, not in the high.

Jay Rahn argues that it is not easy to perceptually evaluate intervals
between successive sounds: this is right. He appears to consider it
improbable that Werckmeister /gleichschwebend /could have denoted an
equal deviation (say, by 1/12-comma), because that could not easily be
perceived. But Werckmeister is not speaking of perception, he describes
tunings to be performed with the help of calculation, of a monochord and
a compas. With such tools, equal deviation can be obtained.
     Equal temperament is characterized neither by equal beating, nor by
equal acceptability of its intervals. It is characterized by the equal
_size_ of its intervals, even although this cannot easily be
perceptually evaluated.

Nicolas Meeùs
nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr