[Smt-talk] Hexachords

matralab matralab at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 04:28:46 PDT 2010

Dear Collective Wisdom

Thank you all for your helpful and erudite comments and insights.
So as far as I can gather from your comments,
Scriabin named one of the two hexachords,
both can be classified in the Forte nomenclature
but they were not in common use anywhere except
in Western post-tonal composition (admittedly a stretched use of the
word "common").

They are now used in two of my compositions:
Stele I for prepared piano (2004), performed many times since then,
and jaali (2010) for sextet and background ensemble
The latter will be premiered on Nov 18 at the Neue Staatsgalerie
Stuttgart (Germany) -
and I will gladly offer a ticket to this concert to any of my
thoughtful respondents, should you be in the area then.
Just reply off-list...

Best cordially
Sandeep