[Smt-talk] Rhythm notation pedagogy

Larry Barnes lbarnes at transy.edu
Sun Sep 26 11:27:40 PDT 2010

David et al,

Chapter 2 of the Kostka-Payne Tonal Harmony text is fairly thorough on
writing rhythms correctly, including self tests and a workbook of drills. My
students have no concept of compound meter when they arrive and this usually
straightens them out.

But we dumped this text this fall after using it for over 20 years, due to
its prohibitive cost with workbook and 2 CD sets, and its focus on
microscopic "moments" in examples. We're trying an anthology with complete
examples and opportunities to compose in the style, and the Blatter
"Revisiting Music Theory," which is more than we need and often confusing in
its pedagogical directions. So we cover concepts as they come up in the
examples, and use some pop song examples as well to fill in when we need
them.

Larry Barnes

Professor of Music

Transylvania University