[Smt-talk] Aesthetics of Computer-Generated Music

Marcel de Velde marcel at justintonation.com
Fri Apr 8 07:35:08 PDT 2011

Hello Sandeep,

I'm personally not aware of any computer algorithm that can generate
compositions that are comparable aesthetically to something like common
practice period music.
For modern / more atonal music or drone music etc it's a different
story, but current algorithms have huge problems with a coherent tonal
side of music.

I think it is also a sign that music theory has not reached the level
yet that it perhaps could.
My understanding is that if one writes an algorithm (let's say for
composing a string quartet) on basic rules of counterpoint and
functional harmony, that the output of this algorithm will still
generate many unmusical / confusing notes and can not compare to a human
using those same rules + his/her ears while composing.
On top of that, you will need real humans with good ears playing the
strings to perform the composition "in tune", as 12 tone equal
temperament will not sound as good, and current music theory can not
describe just intonation (only Pythagorean yet this sounds even worse
than 12tet).

I have been studying just intonation for the past few years.
And I personally think it could make good musical algorithmic
composition possible. (infact I think it could eventually become a true
revolution in music composition)
The point is that the algorithms should work the way our ears and brain
work, use the same language.
And 12 tone equal temperament is definitely not the right basis for this
language.

I've done a small experiment myself with computer generated composition
(really small nothing serious, just for research purpose).
It is a true algorithmic composition.
The rules were these:
1) a sequence of completely random permutations of the harmonic series
up till the 5th harmonic.
2) hold at least one note from the current permutation to the next
permutation
3) i set a limit for the lowest frequency and the highest frequency
possible
That's it, only a few lines of code, no fine tuning whatsoever.
I would have taken me more code to even simply define 12tet, let alone
do anything useful with it.

Here's the output:
http://soundcloud.com/justintonation/9-12-2009-5limit-harmonic
It's just a random selection, the algorithm goes on forever.
Rendering was done with a sampled choir (Kontakt sampler)
I've since progressed considerably with my just intonation research and
know now that the output of this algorithm is not correct just
intonation in many (if not most) parts, and so it also does many
unmusical things that sound random and confusing (and to put it in
correct just intonation would mean different and much more complex
ratios in many places).
But the output is far from random notes in 12tet (which would output
random 12tone atonal music in comparison).
In a few months I will hopefully begin writing a serious composition
algorithm based on correct just intonation.
The way it's looking now it's output will be real music, fully emotional
and coherent.

But in any case..
I think it would be a good idea to use common practice music
(renaissance / baroque) as the music used for comparison between
computer and human compositions.
It's music with where the tonal language of the music is clear.
And I think you will find that the computer algorithms have not yet
mastered this tonal language, and that the human ear / brain is
currently still needed :)

Marcel de Velde
marcel at justintonation.com
Zwolle, Netherlands