[Smt-talk] Aesthetics of Computer-Generated Music

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 00:33:18 PDT 2011

At Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:28:10 -0400,
Stephen Jablonsky wrote:

> All this talk about computer generated music begs the question, "Why
> would anyone want a computer to write music?" The answer is because
> composing is such a n arduous task that we want someone else to do
> it for us

While I can't speak for everone who's ever used computers to compose
music, I broadly disagree with this. Most of the work in computational
composition I am aware of is motivated by an interest in explicating
and studying models of, for example, the tonal system or human
cognition. Its practitioners seek to understand the phenomena they are
modelling and are not so interested in the resulting music.

Best,
Richard
--
Richard Lewis