[Smt-talk] Aesthetics of Computer-Generated Music

Martin Braun nombraun at telia.com
Thu Apr 14 08:21:13 PDT 2011

Thanks to David Bashwiner for presenting the study by Steinbeis and Koelsch
(2009).

In order to understand the experiment one also needs to know that the music
stimuli were presented to the subjects, while lying in the scanner, in
blocks of five. That is they were told: "Now you will hear five pieces that
were composed by a computer." or "Now you will hear five pieces that were
composed by a composer."

Therefore it was clear, before anything was measured, that the subjects
would be wondering about possible intentions of the composers only during
the composed-by-a-composer blocks.

Generally, it is important to note that this study was not music specific at
all. For example, a much stronger difference in activation of the putative
"the-other-person's-mind" network could be expected by presenting two types
of short emails: type A with a crystal clear intention of the writer (no
wondering of the reader about the intention of the writer) and type B with
an ambiguous intention of the writer (much wondering of the reader about the
intention of the writer).

David Bashwiner generally commented:

"Koelsch's work is among the most musically sophisticated of that coming out
of the field of musical neuroscience."

For those who have no first-hand experience with this field one might add
that Koelsch's work represents the cognitive faction of the field. Here the
key terms are syntax, semantics, communication and understanding.

Interestingly, the first word in the title of the Steinbeis and Koelsch
study "Understanding" is incorrect and should not have been permitted by the
reviewers. A correct term would have been "Wondering about".

In support of the other side of the "field of musical neuroscience" one
should add that for many, perhaps most, researchers music is as little
cognitive as walking, skiing, dancing and whistling.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol